Every responsible homeowner knows how important it is to conduct a regular maintenance. Keeping your home clean and safe should always be on top of the list. In fact, it should be part of your daily routine. Jot down the regular tasks for each week. To help you out, here are some of the tasks you need to accomplish:
- Check out the HVAC filters. Some experts recommend changing the filters ever month, but that’s not always necessary. For smaller families without pets or allergies, you can install new filters every 2-3 months. Home Depot carries the widest range of filters. IF you have a standalone external air conditioning unit it should be flushed out annually to remove all the grime and dirt that will build up and cause it to become much less efficient. Flushing the lines is important too. Here is a handy tutorial.
- Clean kitchen sink disposal. You need to do this regularly since kitchens are one of the most functional areas in your home. You can use a liquid solution to remove debris that can cause clogging. Some people also ice cubes with vinegar to freshen the kitchen sink.
- Clean range hood filters. You can simply use a degreaser mixed with hot water to clean the hood filters. Let the filter sit for a few minutes and rinse it off. This is more for cosmetic reasons than anything else. Too much build up though and it’s almost impossible to shift.
- Check the exterior drainage. Never leave puddles around your home for more than a day. This can cause a lot of damage to your home. Check the gutters for bad spout or loose connection. It is also advisable to look for mold damage inspection services in your area.
- Get your house inspected. It is best to get your house inspected by a professional to make sure everything is in order. Hire a reputable service provider that can help you improve the overall condition of your home. Rain gutter cleaning is an hugely important task to protect your foundations and everything underneath the roofline. Normally this would be a once per year task, but if you live in a wooded area where trees are dropping twigs and birds are nesting this should be closer to once every 6 months.
- Consider a new paint job. It is always better to see your home with a fresh coated paint. This can enhance the curb appeal of your home and may increase property value. Use a primer before applying the paint. Consult a professional and do your research.
It’s a lot of work, so you need to start working on the task list immediately. Maximize your efficiency by making your own home maintenance calendar.